Welcome to a piece of our work this summer- going ‘inward’ and This Summer Series is designed to give you opportunities to grow deeper in your self-care. Over the next two weeks we will be looking at food which is one of the most foundational components for caring for yourself. Food is the fuel of life. Nourishment through food allows us to have the energy and the focus to show up in the classroom everyday. While school can make life busy, it is imperative that you make time to eat and care for yourself.
Check out a few of these recipes below from some of our favorite bloggers! Need further inspiration? Check out this pinterest board where we are are saving and sharing recipes and ideas for meal planning!
- The Food Seen explores the intersections of food, art & design, and how chefs and artists alike are amalgamating those ideas, using food as their muse & medium across a multitude of media.
- Splendid Table connects people through the common language of food and eating.
- Gravy digs into lesser-known corners of The South, and gives voice to the unsung folk who grow, cook, and serve our daily meals.
- Heirloom Kitchen –Heritage recipes & Family Stories from the Tables of Immigrant Women
- Ottolengh: Simplei – all these recipes can be made in 30 minutes or less, with 10 or fewer ingredients, in a single pot, using pantry staples, or prepared ahead of time
- Jubilee – Recipes from Two Centuries of African American Cooking: A Cookbook
- Cooking Class: There are many great cheap local online cooking classes!
- Orange Theory: Teacher Discount: Call and ask for the teacher discount
- Kamba Fit: Support Black business owner at this amazing Westport gym
- UMKC Counseling Office: UMKC students have access to free therapy!
- Chiropractic and Wellness Service: Support Black business owners at The Health and Wellness Clinic (multiple locations)
- Download Headspace: Free for teachers! A mindfulness & meditation app
Andrea is the Operations Associate at The Educator Academy. She helps the work of The Educator Academy in the realm of communications, logistics, and events. Her first love is food and body liberation. Her degree is in Nutrition and Sustainable Food Systems. If you have any questions about this content, or would like further resources related to food and self-care, reach out to Andrea!