Do you ever end a school day and noticing your neck and shoulders feel more like steel tension wire than human flesh? Or sigh a big breath, realizing you have almost forgot to breathe? Teaching can bring daily joy and daily moments of stress. Regular movement helps release our body’s stress and is essential in maintaining health as a person, and as an effective teacher. BUT movement doesn’t have to be another stressor! In this issue, we will explore ways to find joy in movement and the benefits that come when we pursue healthy habits.
- Create TikToks
- Walk with a great audio book or podcast (See resources below!)
- Have a nightly after dinner dance party with your family
- Walk the halls during a meeting instead of sitting
- Track your steps! For days you don’t have dedicated movement time, it’s always affirming to see how teaching already requires a lot of movement!
- Join or create a kickball (or Pickleball! Or Volleyball!) team! (See Deals/Opportunities)
- Even 10 minutes gives you excellent benefits!
1. Implement Brain Breaks often in lessons… and move with your students! (See Resources)
2. Calendar your movement. Prioritize that yoga class, that weight-lifting class, dance class, your softball league! (See Deals and Opportunities)
3. Ask your teacher bestie to join! Nothing like a little positive peer pressure!
Check out some of these resources for incorporating Movement into your life.
WEBSITE 5 Sites for Movement Brain Breaks
PODCAST To Boost Learning, Just Add Movement
PODCAST The Neuroscience Behind Why Kids Never Stop Moving
BLOG Latoya Shauntay Snell: “Running Fat Chef”
INSTAGRAM GMA’s Wellness Writer: Jacqueline Laurean Yates
INSTAGRAM Free Yoga Saturday: Jessamyn
INSTAGRAM Peloton Instructor: Alex Toussaint
YOGA: Karma Tribe Yoga– Donation Based Yoga
LOCAL CLASSES: KC YMCA is an affordable space for movement AND offers online classes (including Body Pump!)!
DANCE: Want to brush up on those childhood dance classes? Dance, Fit, Flow is an adult dance studio! Or maybe you want to learn for the first time? Check out KC Ballet for all types of dance
LEAGUES: Any team you can imagine is available in KC! Kickball and softball, Volleyball, Pickleball, or Cornhole!
SUPPORT LOCAL: Kamba Fit: Support Black business owner at this amazing Westport gym