In these times of social distancing, it is important now, more than ever before, to establish “your circle of people” to ensure your health and wellness. We must pay attention to our values, our energy, and our joy levels and choose wisely. Currently, every relationship takes great intention since there is much less natural interaction in plan time, Grad classes, or staff meetings. In this issue, we’ll explore the ‘why’ behind intentionally developing a “circle of people”, creative ways to hang out, and resources to discuss with your ‘circle’!
With the higher-than-normal stress and “Quarantine Fatigue”, “our circle of people” deserves careful consideration. Here are 5 questions to ask to assess ‘your circle’:
- Who gives you energy?
- Who allows you to show up as your whole self?
- Who makes you laugh or brings you joy?
- Who mentors you and brings you into wisdom or perspective?
- What boundaries do you need to set around ‘energy takers’
1) Make the effort and get to know a new person
- As we go back to school, new colleagues are coming into our schools. Making new friends in the time of COVID requires a bit of extra planning because happenstance is less common in the virtual space. Make the effort and reach out!
2) Plan time with colleagues without a task to accomplish.
- You might be missing casual interactions with co-workers–chats at the copier, in front of the staff refrigerator, or in the hall. Plan a virtual or distanced time with your school team, agenda free!
3) Mentoring is not just for the Residency Year.
- Who is the person in education that you admire? Take the leap and ask them to mentor you. With your mentor, candidly share your thinking, concerns, and joys. Come with questions to problem solve around stressors.
Check out these fun and creative ways to connect with others virtually!
- MeetUp – New to KC? This is a space to connect with folks however you are comfortable!
- HouseParty App – Play games together on this social media app! Built in party games make it really easy to have fun together!
- Netflix Party – This app lets you watch movies and shows with friends and family by syncing everyone’s video and letting you group chat on screen as you watch
- Play Scrabble or Yahtzee Together: Get online with friends or family who have the same game board out! Every time they go, you mark it on your board or scorecard, too!
- Have a themed Zoom party: Everyone dress in 20’s garb or as a Spice Girl and join Zoom! Play music, add backgrounds, play a theme appropriate game, send out a recipe for a themed cocktail before the event! Check out this list of themes for inspiration!
PODCAST: Enneagram and Coffee – Explore how you relate to others through the Enneagram
PODCAST: Arm Chair Expert – Dr. Burke-Harris Explores How Our Life Experiences Affect Our Relationships
INSTAGRAM: @Bored_Teachers – Find the funny in your job with those in it with you!
ARTICLE: “Why You Need Teacher Friends“
YOGA: Karma Tribe Yoga is a donation-based Yoga
LOCAL CLASSES: KC YMCA is an affordable space for movement AND offers online classes (including Body Pump!)!
DANCE: Want to brush up on those childhood dance classes? Dance, Fit, Flow is an adult dance studio! Or maybe you want to learn for the first time? Check out KC Ballet for all types of dance
LEAGUES: Any team you can imagine is available in KC! Kickball and softball, Volleyball, Pickleball, or Cornhole!
SUPPORT LOCAL: Kamba Fit: Support Black business owner at this amazing Westport gym