Residency Year (1 year)
- Model emphasizes classroom experience with a Mentor Teacher, supplemented with coursework
- One-on-one instructional coaching from EA staff
- Service through AmeriCorps
- Receive a stipend
During the Residency Year and AmeriCorps service year, Teacher Residents spend 1 day and 1 evening a week in EA coursework. Coursework both prepares Residents for their classroom experience, and grounds them in foundational principles of instruction that will prepare them for their teaching certification and beyond. The other 4 days of the school week, Residents are in the classroom with their Mentor Teacher serving students and applying their learning in real time. This model allows Residents to gain substantial experience in the classroom before becoming a teacher of record. This rigorous program provides a gradual release into teaching responsibilities. EA staff support Residents through coaching, and testing support, so by the end of the Residency Year, Residents are fully certified and will have earned 18 hours towards a master’s degree from UMKC.
Teaching Commitment (3 years)
- Full-time teacher of record in a partner school of EA
- Earn full time salary through partner district
- Continue to engage in instructional coaching from EA staff
Resident Graduates commit to teach for 3 years in a partner school of The Educator Academy. Throughout the duration of the teaching commitment, The EA continues to provide development and support through professional development opportunities, coaching, and community events. Graduates can complete the second half of their Master’s degree with UMKC.
The fellowship focuses on individuals with significant experience in the classroom–moving them into a lead teacher role within a school while earning their certification in 1 year. Following teacher certification, The EA continues to provide support and coaching to ensure Fellow Graduates are set up for success in their career.
- Requires instructional experience, either as a lead teacher or support role focused on academics.
- Teacher of Record year 1 in the program
- 2-year teaching commitment
The residency is a 1 year program followed by a 3 year teaching commitment. This gradual release model supports individuals with a wide range of experience to transition into the classroom.
- No background in education required
- 1 year residency before teacher of record year
- 3 year teaching commitment
Want to learn more about the Residency? Check out our frequently asked questions