Lifted Logic Web Design in Kansas City exit clock location phone play check_box_outline_blank check_box chevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up facebook instagram google plus pinterest radio_button_checked radio_button_unchecked twitter linkedin youtube arrow-up send arrow-right man woman plus remove chat calendar close Down-Copy Up-Copy right left right-1 down-arrow-home right-arrow-long chat linkedin options-list page-one pin quality star venn-diagram search

how to transfer your Missouri Teacher Certification to Kansas

Missouri to Kansas Teacher Certification Transfer

Educator Resources / March 28, 2024
featured image

Earning certification is a critical step to a career as an educator. It is also a complicated and lengthy process that requires different steps in each state. Teachers relocating from one state to the other must obtain that state’s certification or teaching license before being hired into most teaching positions. If you are currently a Missouri teacher and want to teach in Kansas, you will have to complete a Missouri to Kansas teacher certification transfer.

States such as Missouri and Kansas have processes and systems to allow you to teach in their state. You may be able to transfer your teaching certificate from one state to another. Many states refer to this process as “reciprocity.” While that specific term isn’t used by either Missouri or Kansas, both states have processes that allow a certified or licensed teacher in one state to become certified or licensed without starting over. In this post, we’ll break down the steps for a Missouri to Kansas teacher certification transfer.

Before you get started with your Missouri to Kansas teacher certification transfer

Missouri and Kansas honor teacher certifications that are earned in most states throughout the United States. The steps detailed below only apply if you have a current teaching certificate or license. We provided guide to what teaching certification is, why it matters, and how to complete that process in Missouri here.

In addition, your certification must be current, you must have access to your undergraduate transcripts, and you must be able to pass a background check to start this process with either state. There are other requirements for each state, detailed below, but it is important to check those before you begin.

Finally, while certification and license areas don’t line up perfectly, you can only receive credentials for an area that is equivalent to what you already hold. For example, if you hold an Elementary Education license in Kansas, Missouri would grant Elementary Education certification in Missouri. However, you couldn’t request that an Elementary Education license in Kansas grant you High School Biology certification in Missouri.


Certification vs. Licensure

One additional note: Missouri and Kansas use two different names for the same item and process. Missouri uses the term “certification” to describe the credential that a teacher must have to be a fully qualified teacher. Kansas uses the term “licensure” to describe the same credential. While these terms describe the same item, it is important to know which state uses which. Exploring MO DESE’s website and looking for the term “licensure” or looking for the term “certification” on KSDE’s website will result in a lot of confusion. We’ll use the appropriate term for each below in describing the process of applying for one by holding the other.

The steps to a Missouri to Kansas teacher certification transfer

If you hold a valid Missouri Certification, you can use that to apply for Kansas Licensure in a similar grade level and content area. 

Step One: Create an Educator Profile

The first step is to register for the Kansas Licensure Application System via KSDE’s website. This profile will be used to upload and submit various documents and also to check the progress of your application. 

Once you’ve registered and logged in, you will need to create an Educator Profile by entering information such as your name, date of birth, and social security number.

Step Two: Complete Out of State Form

Next, you’ll need to use the menu to select form 2.KLAS-Use only for Forms 2, 3a,8, 20 or 21. This is a form for Initial Out of State Licensure. 

Step Three: Gather your documents 

At this point, it is a good idea to make sure you have all of the documents that you’ll need to complete this application before you submit the form. You’ll need the following items to complete your application: 

  • Official copies of any and all undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts
    • Keep in mind that you’ll need to provide transcripts for every institution you have attended, even if that college or university didn’t grant you a degree, or you transferred those credits to another institution.
    • These official transcripts can be digital copies that you have received from your university or college, or you can send physical copies directly to KSDE’s Teacher Licensure Office. They cannot be photocopied or duplicated PDFs.
  • A copy of your Missouri Teaching Certificate
    • Unlike transcripts, this can be photocopied or scanned.
    • Remember that this must be valid–it can’t be expired or revoked.
  • The contact information for your Educator Preparation Program (or EPP). 
    • This should include the name, phone number, position, and email address of the individual who is the Dean of the College of Education, Program Director, or Licensure Officer at the college, university, or program where you completed your teacher preparation program.
  • The contact information of a leader at the school that previously employed you.
    • This should include the name, phone number, position, and email address of a Human Resources Director or other School Administrator for every district where you have previously worked.
    • This is to verify your prior teaching experience.
  • Testing transcripts. 
    • You will need copies of your MOCA test scores.
    • Unlike transcripts, these can be photocopied or scanned.

Step 4: Submit and Track your Missouri to Kansas teacher certification transfer

Once these documents are gathered, you can submit them via either your Educator Profile or send them physically to KSDE’s Teacher Licensure office. At the same time, you can submit your application via the same website. 

With that completed, you can track the application process via your account on the Kansas Licensure Application System.

Looking for support in becoming a teacher? 

Looking to become a certified teacher? Whether you are looking to become a teacher, or are already in the classroom, The Educator Academy can help you. Furthermore, we exist to sustain empowered educators in creating equitable classroom experiences for all students. Send us a message to receive more supports for your next step in education!